Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Artistic Integrity Part TWO of TWO

Lets consider the past, when artists had “sponsors” or “patrons”

Almost any artist in the past you can think of made something “for” someone because they paid them.
Its an extraordinarily difficult argument as, we would not have mozart had the Royals of Austria and a number of patrons not paid him to do his Art. Also backing the theory of backers being good is that, as artists get wealthier they get to choose who sponsors them and who is the KFC of their time.

Still, I cant help thinking that the sponsors of these modern day “Artists” are of such a low caste that it makes the artist look a putz.

Compare Lady Gaga and Die Antwoord.

I was sent a music video done by Lady Gaga and Beyonce. Telephone I think it was called.
I was watching it, as it was kicking up a stink for being “...a disgrace to feminism” which was utter tosh. Its a cool video. However every time you see a phone it has a Virgin Mobile Screen shot.

Its awful and I cant help thinking that its unnecessary for a couple of musicians who are that wealthy to sell out.

Followed by Die Antwoord who are currently taking over the world as “real South Africans”
I do not enjoy their music but I do have respect for them despite their Ad-Alignment. They live their Characters. Its a double edged blade, I find their dedication impressive but pretentious in its existence, the only thing keeping them from being “sell-outs” is their dedication. You can see how I could become confused with my own opinion.

So that said, I think the conclusion of the argument (I can do that, its my blog) is that it is very difficult to discern between being corporate wankers and ... not being corporate wankers.

Its safer to not have adverts using your Artistic image. But if you have to, please, dont promote a goddam fast-food chain.

Also, have some taste and dont listen to bloody Parlotones.

Jesus, if you think that its great that SA music is getting some airtime overseas, maybe consider the impact of these talentless fools. Send Kobus instead. At least then they'll think we are hard as fuck.

3 comments:

WillC said...

The Most Corporate Band
In the music business these days, it's not about selling the most CDs, it's having the best sponsors. How the Black Eyed Peas became the face of Samsung, Apple, BlackBerry, Bacardi...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303720604575169933636121658.html

check that out for artistic integrity....

Br said...

Thanks for that Will

Br said...

I really hate that the article is positive.

It should be an outright condemnation.

Fuck I hate this shit